Michael practices as a civil litigator with a focus on Estate Litigation, Tax Litigation and Commercial Litigation. He has appeared before the BC Supreme Court, the BC Provincial Court and the Tax Court of Canada.
With respect to Tax Litigation, Michael becomes involved at various stages of the assessment and reassessment process. Among other things, Michael can:
- Draft and file a Notice of Objection
- Draft and file a Notice of Appeal to the Tax Court of Canada
- Assist in answering questions from the Canada Revenue Agency
- Represent taxpayers at the Tax Court of Canada
As part of his Estate Litigation practice, Michael has experience in a variety of areas, including:
- Wills Variation Claims (defending the Will or representing either the disinherited spouse or child)
- Joint ownership of property
- Dealing with a problem Executor or Attorney
- Issues involving capacity and undue influence
Michael obtained his law degree from the University of Western Ontario. He was called to the Alberta bar in 2005 and the BC bar in 2011. Michael articled at the Tax Court of Canada in Ottawa before working as an Associate in the Tax Group at a national law firm in Calgary. He subsequently moved to Vancouver to practice in the International Tax Group of a national accounting firm. From there he joined a tax boutique law firm, focusing on private companies and high net worth individuals.